Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Wednesday with Words: Gainers by Trials

This past week, I finished reading Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowland
(That's a link to a free Kindle version- go grab it!) I've always enjoyed reading biographies, especially ones of fellow saints, but it had been awhile since I read one. Benjamin & Matthias read portions of this story for their writing/literature class at co-op & a friend (thanks, Stephanie!) recommended it. I'm having my boys, as well as Patricia, read the entire story. Yahoo- joining in together on the great conversations of ideas! :):):)

"God's power is as great now, and as sufficient to save, as when He preserved Daniel in the lion's den; or the three children in the fiery furnace. I may well say as his Psalm 107:12 "Oh give thanks unto the Lord for He is good, for His mercy endureth forever." Let the redeemed of the Lord say so..." (pg. 38)

"Yet I see, when God calls a person to anything, and through never so many difficulties, yet He is fully able to carry them through and make them see, and say they have been gainers thereby. And I hope I can say in some measure, as David did, "It is good for me that I have been afflicted." ... I have learned to look beyond present and smaller troubles, and to be quite under them. As Moses said, "Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord" (Exodus 14:13)." (pg. 42)

This woman didn't pen these words lightly. She lost a child, friends & family. She was taken captive by Indians. But she saw & recorded God's mercies in the midst of it all. Teach me, O Lord, to have such a perspective! To see beyond the vanities of life & to keep my focus on my Savior. Teach me to not doubt Your power because You are not doing what I think best. Teach me to come boldly to Your throne & then to "stand still and see the salvation of the Lord."

Be sure to link up with Dawn's blog to see more words:

2 comments:

Anna said...

Suffering was the theme of our pastor's sermon on Sunday. It's not something we like to think about, though! I think it's often hard to see what God is doing when we're in the middle of it, but when we look back, we can see at least some of what He was teaching us.

Tully Family said...

Yes- it's always easier after but God has been showing me by experience how to have peace in the midst of it too.